Water Based Sealers – Pro Polish 770 Grout Binder
Grouting your polished concrete is usually a tough gig. To really get a great polished concrete surface finish, you need to grout the slab. People do grouting many different ways. When I polished concrete the following process usually results in a smooth finish.
- grind the surface to the desired finish (salt and pepper or full stone exposure)
- Finish with an 80 grit cut finish
- Some people spray densifier before grouting
- Mix Pro Polish 770 at 4 parts water: 1 part concentrate
- Make sure the surface is nice and wet before pouring your binder and brooming evenly around.
- You need to run your machine over the surface to create a paste from the binder and the concrete dust, this will be massaged into the surface
- Once the paste is thick and creamy and you have full coverage you can then scrape off the excess grout
- If the concrete is really porous, you may need to repeat the process.
- Let the surface dry and then cut the surface back with 50 to 100 grit ceramic style diamond pucks.
- Once all the topical grout is removed and the floor is clean and blemish free, apply your densifier and start the polishing process
Sealing Polished Concrete with Pro Seal 896 or Pro Seal 898
Cream finish, polished concrete is a very inexpensive process compared to a high gloss, full stone exposure mechanical polished concrete.
Specifications for Polished Concrete Mix
- Minimum 32 Mpa Concrete
- Preferably use a topping slab on top of the structural slab, if using expensive colours and stone blends from concrete companies this will save you heaps
- Vibrate well and evenly always
- Helicopter the surface well to compact cement and fines, this is called burnishing
- Make sure you have a very experienced concreter finishing your surface
- Densify the surface as soon as possible, I use a potassium silicate densifiers from Con-treat
Preparation for Polished Concrete Sealer
- Diamond grind or burnish to a 200 grit finish without breaking through the surface to stone
- Vacuum all dust from the floor
- Wet the surface and wipe clean with wet microfibre flat mops
Polished Concrete Sealing with Pro Seal 896
- Spray apply Pro Seal 896 at 4 parts water to 1 part concentrate
- Using a microfibre flat mop, spread the Pro Seal 896 evenly over the floor and then cross wipe to be sure you have an even coat
- Repeat a second coat in approx 2 hours
- For higher gloss finishes, high speed burnish with a hog hair buffing pad within 24 hours, usually do the next day after sealing the concrete.